Life at Shores is all about leading the best lifestyle on the planet. We’ve got the pristine location, the fab apartments, the amazing amenities and — since we’re one of the most forward-thinking communities out there — plenty of eco-friendly features that help keep our Marina del Rey setting healthy and beautiful. With Earth Day happening this Wednesday (April 22nd), we’re reminded of just how important that is… and what we can do to keep environmental responsibility in motion every day of the year.
At Shores, we try to help out by making sure all of our residents have ENERGY STAR® appliances at home; a smoke-free environment to keep our air clean; bonuses like EV charging stations for residents with electric cars; easy access to public transportation; and plenty of covered bicycle storage for our two wheel commuters out there. And we’re super proud to offer every one of those great advantages. But in day-to-day life, there’s so much all of us can do that will help the environment even more. Ready for some Earth Day-inspired ideas? Read on:
1) Recycle, Reduce and Reuse
This advice never gets old.
2) Conserve energy
Be more energy efficient by unplugging non-essential devices, using smart power strips, and turning off lights when not in use. Using less energy reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
3) Switch your light bulbs to longer lasting LED lights
LEDs are more efficient than traditional bulbs and last for years.
4) Only run your dishwasher or washing machine when you have full loads
Saving water is a big deal and this is a common-sense way to do it.
5) Scrape your dishes instead of rinsing before loading in the dishwasher
Another easy way to save water.
6) Wash your laundry in cold water whenever possible
When you don’t need to heat the water, you use less energy…and that reduces greenhouse gas emissions.
7) Investigate K-Cup alternatives if you use a single brew machine
8) Volunteer for Nothin’ But Sand Beach Cleanups
Heal the Bay hosts these cleanup events the third Saturday of every month.
9) Try biking or walking instead of driving whenever you can
Is work nearby? Pedal your way there — it’s great exercise and it’s fun.
10) Get with the Meatless Monday program
Try some of these recipes for easy, delicious meals.
See how easy it is to make a huge impact? For more great ideas, you can also check out Earth 911. Happy Earth Day, everyone!